Monday, December 31, 2012

Boots, Juice, Chicken, Hawks and Mountains

We are now more than halfway to Los Angeles. Three days of 8 hours or more in the car, climbing mountains - Blue Ridge; counting hawks (26); crossing rivers (today it was the Mississippi and maybe the Arkansas?), and collecting states - have added Tennessee and Arkansas to the list.



Spent some time in Nashville, where I walked south Broadway at night with scores of NC State fans as they got ready for the "Music City Bowl" game; made a quick trip to the Farmer's Market this morning finding fabulously fresh and spicy tomato juice, and Memphis en route -  where we caught our first glimpse of the Mississippi and ate GREAT fried Chicken via take out from Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken. (Sweet Potato Pie on deck)



While Emmy is a fairly easy traveling companion (and has learned to sleep sitting up), her sense of humour leaves a bit to be desired.  She doesn't "get it" when I chuckle at:



  • The two water tanks on the hill marked "Hot" and Cold"

  • The thought that if I had a few farthings hanging about, I might actually buy the Cokeville Speedway that's For Sale for Rob and Mike

  • me, when I pass a field full of solar panels and think "Oh!  a Solar Farm!", only to be followed 50 yards later by a sign that says "Solar Farm"

  • Names of local attractions, like ""Toad Suck Park", "Pig Trail Scenic Parkway" and Bucksnort Trout Ranch".  You can't make this stuff up!

As I welcome 2013 from a La Quinta in Fort Smith, Arkansas, I can't predict what's next (other than a trip to 10,000 Waves in Santa Fe).  What I have been reminded of recently is that I am incredibly lucky.  Despite what I believed were hardships in my life recently - they don't compare to what others have gone through.  It sounds simple - even cliche - but I am healthy, have the support of amazing friends and family and the opportunity to figure out, once again, who I am and who I want to be.

So - grab at the coming year and get ready!  I am.


















1 comment:

  1. Blessings to you, KOB! Enjoy 10,000 waves! and avoid the small wave of jealousy from Wisconsin. :)

    ReplyDelete